Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Charlotte and Emily Bronte the Complete Novels

Hundreds of people were thrilled by Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre. Jane Eyre is a classic that can be read over and over.

I don’t know about you, but when I read Jane Eyre, I thought something was missing. It felt a little too short. A few years after that, my parents bought me Charlotte and Emily Bronte, the complete novels. I didn’t read them then, but a month ago I saw the book and I read it. Let me tell you the publishers cut out so much when they re-wrote it. The Jane Eyre I read was filled with description, and I wondered how any one could have got rid of so much of a good thing. In other words, I loved it.

What was more, Wuthering Heights and Shirley were also included.

Wuthering Heights was… incredible. I would constantly get mad at Heathcliff, or Linton. Any why were the women such scaredys? They had no backbone! But as many times as I promised myself I would never read it again, I always found myself standing in front of my book shelf, taking it out of lonely exile in the cupboard under my bookshelf.

And Shirley was so funny. Now these women were bold adventurers who didn’t get bossed around by their men folk! Caroline, an orphan raised by her uncle, is in love with her cousin Robert… but he doesn’t love her back.

Love sick, she falls ill, and it is almost certain she will die. Along comes Shirley, a perky little heiress with tons of money who befriends Caroline. With her comes Mrs. Pryor, who nurses Caroline and eventually tells her that she is her mother!

Upon hearing this, Caroline quickly gets better. After a good many chapters, she and Robert are friends once more. When Louis, Robert’s look-alike brother appears on scene, Shirley’s character is doubted. Can the heiress ever truly love anyone?

Find out, and read The Professor and The Villette too!




No comments: